My Madness as a Stay at Home Mom

My Madness as a Stay at Home Mom

Thursday, October 15, 2009

Potty update!

So we're done with Day four of Potty training in three days! I know sounds crazy. I went off this book that all the other Moms were using but sort of winged it since I did not read the book. I don't think I will ever say we're really fully 100% potty trained until I can trust her 100% when she's like 5 and has shown me consistency for several years but I'd say I am pretty confident that we're doing well and hopefully on our way there. She has a road of work ahead of her but we're keeping our fingers crossed.
We started Sunday afternoon, no reason to waste time at home, or cheat a few hours and get a head start. Sunday night we had one time on the potty and one accident. Not bad for the first night. Monday was an awesome day. She only had one accident and was so good about telling me when she had to go. Tuesday (Day 2) was horrible. She peed on me, on the floor, was laughing when she did both. I was at my witts end. I didn't know what was wrong with this kid. She would sit on the potty for 15 minutes waiting to go and stand up and pee right on the floor. I was insane by the end of the night. (couple this with a sick dog as well and I was a wreck). I went out with my friends and then talked me off the ledge and made some few helpful suggestions. I left, hit Wal-mart and came home ready to tackle Day 3.
On Wednesday, armed with a potty chart, stickers, smarties for keeping the undies dry, and a bit more pizazz, we tackled day 3. We were accident free, and made 11 trips to the potty. It was an awesome day. She didn't tell me every time she had to go but I watched her like a hawk and as soon as I saw signs like she might have to go we headed to the potty! I was pumped yesterday.
Since 3 days was all this book said I figured we were doing good. Today, Day 4, we headed off to the doctor for her 2 year appt. She did so well while we were there, we made 45 trips to the potty, all false alarms or an excuse to leave the exam room, but we were accident free. I thought we were going to have to throw the entire thing to the wind after she got her finger pricked and the flu shot and only wanted to scream bloody murder (and the whole way home until I removed the band-aid), but we did well this afternoon too. No accidents, and even a trip to the vet this afternoon without a hitch or wet pants, however you want to call it.
The true test comes tomorrow when we head to Stroller Strides and I have to teach. We have a 25 minutes car ride, a bumpy stroller ride and a Mom who has to teach ladies all while watching for pee pee and making sure she goes when she has to go. We'll see how leaving the house on time tomorrow goes with having to get her to pee before we head out the door. Should be tough, but I am ready.
She didn't drink near as much today so we didn't have as many trips to the potty and for a while there I was thinking she was holding it on purpose but I still should be happy with the outcome that we have this far.
So wish me luck tomorrow, I will be armed with extra undies, shorts, shirts and I suppose a change of clothes for me in case I am the innocent victim. I'm also driving around with the potty chair in the car so we'll see how that goes. We can only move forward at this point. Yeah for Reese being a BIG GIRL!