My Madness as a Stay at Home Mom

My Madness as a Stay at Home Mom

Saturday, September 13, 2008

I like Ike...

Well at least that was what the buttons said when Dwight D. Eisenhower was running for President of the United States. Well I fled to Houston only to have Ike follow me. We boarded up the house, took in everything from outside and the end result was NO rain and a little breeze here in our neck of the woods.
Now when I say Ike followed me to Houston, I really mean it. The whole thing pretty much passed right over Kingwood in the middle of the night. Leslie has had power, lucky girl and managed to take some pics and send them to us. Nana, Pop-pop, Grandma, Grandpa, Mom and Dad are all in Kingwood surviving. They don't have power right now but Mom and Dad have the generator turned on and are of course watching TV. All the old people survived the storm without any issues and amazingly our soon to be cousin in law James showed up from Alabama (he drove into the storm) so he would be in Houston to help with storm clean up. He worked magic as soon as he arrived, helping the fire department move trees off the streets. Mom reported he was driving the Bobcat around cleaning up before it even finished raining. Talk about good service. I will post a picture of the trees near Leslie's apartment...but just reporting that thus far all is well.
I on the other hand decided at the last minute to leave Houston as well. Reese, Chewie and I drove to Kingwood Wednesday morning, spent the day visiting grandparents etc, and by Thursday at 7 p.m. we were back in the car headed home. I never hit any really bad traffic (never had to go below 60 mph) but there was always a steady stream of cars on the road with me. So we made it home about 24 hours before Ike decided to wipe Galveston and Surfside beach away. I guess in the future I will just stay and rough out the storm at home, that way the damn thing won't follow me and cause problems for other people.
Before I left I did help Mom and Dad bring the stuff in from the yard and three strapping young men helped Dad put up all the boards on his house as well. Nana, Hurricane expert that she is, said the winds would never get more than 40 mph...her predictions were however wrong. She said the wind was pretty bad, Mom and Dad's biggest complaint as well. Kobi was scared too, sleeping with Mom all night. Poor dog...




1 comment:

Jack said...

Hi there, good to hear everyone is OK.
We were quite worried for you guys and reading that the storm indeed hit Kingwood was scary news. Good news however that it missed your house.
Say hi to everyone from us.

Jack&Katleen&Lander&Kobe