My Madness as a Stay at Home Mom

My Madness as a Stay at Home Mom

Monday, June 11, 2012

Sea Turtles

Last year my Dad bought Reese a book all about how sea turtles nest on land and then “helpful humans” keep the eggs safe until the baby turtles are ready to hatch and swim back into the water. Last summer I tried to take Reese to see the sea turtles hatch and head off into the water but it never worked out. On Saturday I just happened to call the hotline and heard there was going to be a release the next day. So I convinced Ryan to wake up at 5:15 a.m. yesterday and head down to the beach to see these little babies head off back into the wild. We drove about 14 miles further than we do to go to the beach, we were about 1/2 mile from where the road ends on North Padre Island. In the book the turtles names are Tammy and she has a sister name Tessie. Yesterday while watching the turtles walk to the water Reese said “Go Tammy, Go Tessie”…too funny!

They released 96 turtles yesterday and they were the size of an Oreo cookie. It was a great thing for Reese to see, and even though he woke up really early Ryan enjoyed it too. Reese rounded out her Sunday by heading to the pool with me, followed by dinner with Ryan’s parents and heading to spend the night with them at their camper. She’s still out there now spending the day with them, I bet she’ll sleep well tonight because the heat index is 110 today! Although we’re outside every morning for Stroller Strides, we’re done by 10 a.m. and being her mother’s child, we don’t go outside in the afternoon unless we’re in the pool. It’s  really HOT!

002The park ranger releasing the turtles

008They carried the ones who needed a little body heat to get moving, around so we could see how small they were

018These volunteers stand holding long poles of PVC pipe and flag so scare off the seagulls so they don’t eat any turtles.

029March of the Turtles031037Sunrise of Padre Island

Saturday while Ryan was at work Reese played “office”. She came  to find me in the kitchen and said “excuse me Ma'am I need you to come in and sign some paperwork”. She had a desk set up, her computer out, and lots of construction paper. There I sat listening to how the adjuster came out and looked at my roof and I signed all kinds of insurance paperwork for her. (If only our actual insurance adjuster was that easy to work with). She asked me for my address, phone number and signature. She claims she already had my bank account number on file in her computer. I am glad she didn’t ask for my social security number or I might have started to think this was some kind of scam. After Ryan got home she needed him to sign some paperwork too. He was wearing shorts but didn’t have a shirt on, she told him very seriously that he could not come into her office without a shirt on. The funniest part was when we were waiting for him, I said “Oh my husband is always late”, and she started small talking with me about my kids. That girl is too funny and knows exactly how to conduct business if I need her to step in for me.

No comments: